Below are 10 texts to send to a stressed-out partner:
1. What happened to set this off? Do you want to talk about it? If you want to be left alone, I understand and respect that too. Never forget that I am always here to listen and help you through any challenge.
This message shows that you are genuinely interested in why your partner is stressed and willing to give them what they need.
2. I am sorry you are going through this. What can I do to help you through this?
This message shows compassion and the eagerness to help and support them.
3. Let us go take a walk when you get home if you’d like. It may be useful to let off some of this steam brewing.
This gives your partner something to look forward to. Knowing they have an outlet to release their emotions may help them get through the day.
4. Take some deep breaths in and out, in and out. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, and then release for 8 seconds. If you’d like, I can do this with you until you feel a bit more relaxed.
This gives them a physical way of relieving the stress. This message is important because it is giving them an activity to try and something to redirect their mind towards.
5. I want you to try and put your phone down and your computer away. Disconnect for an hour and let your mind calm down.
This message showcases the importance of disconnecting from electronics which could be possibly adding to their stress.
6. Have you talked to your boss about the stress you are experiencing regarding this project? Perhaps you can find a solution together.
This text is useful if the stress is coming from work. If your partner is unsure how to approach the problem, you may be able to help them through that.
7. I know things have not been easy for us, but I believe we can overcome this. Why don’t we sit down this evening and have an open and honest discussion about this?
If your partner is stressed from a personal issue, this type of message shows that you are acknowledging the problem and address it head on.
8. Remember that time you slipped on the banana peel? Life can be that silly and carefree again. This will pass.
Sometimes, humor and a good laugh can relieve stress. Feel free to fill in the example to make someone laugh. Distracting someone might help them in the moment.
9. If I have done anything to add to the stress, please talk to me about it. Let’s work through this together as one solid unit rather than two pieces alone.
Similar to other examples, it is important to show your support and empathy while your partner is going through this struggle.
10. Why don’t we plan a nice day together this weekend? How do you feel about going to the nature preserve?
This message can lead to a longer conversation about making fun plans, which can distract them from whatever they are feeling stressed about.